BY DR. CARLSON | NOV 25, 2017 | Healthy Recipes
I am currently taking a seminar series about car accidents and motor vehicle collisions. It is a sobering experience! The statistics alone are daunting: you have a 1 in 25 chance of being in an accident in the next 12 months. During the next 5 years you have a 1 in 5 chance of being involved in a car accident!
With those kinds of odds, it behooves us to make sure we are properly prepared, so here are a couple of items I thought you might find interesting and helpful:
- DO NOT talk or give a statement to an insurance agent, customer service rep or even your own agent. EVEN IF you do not want to involve an attorney, anything you say CAN and WILL be used against you – why take that chance?
- If you do not hire an attorney, you will be assigned a lower level adjustor who is only able to handle lower offers. If you hire an attorney, you are automatically moved to a higher level of adjustor. At the very least, go consult with an attorney. ***Side note: if you see an attorney’s advertisements on TV, billboards, or radio, you KNOW that they have a HUGE marketing budget that needs to be paid every month. That means they need lots of cases to pay for those advertisements — which means very little time and attention will be paid to you and your case. It can also mean a premature & lower settlement, so they can cover that huge overhead***
- BUY MEDPAY, UNDERINSURED AND UNINSURED MOTORIST COVERAGE. It is the cheapest insurance you can get. It also does NOT need to be repaid after your case settles. Your GROUP HEALTH INSURANCE CAN request their payments back – out of YOUR settlement.
- 47% of Motor Vehicle Collisions in AZ involve uninsured or underinsured drivers.
- Seatbelts MUST be replaced for EVERY COLLISION.
- If you are in a collision: TAKE PICTURES TAKE PICTURES TAKE PICTURES!: Outside the car: bumpers, doors, etc. Inside: dash, steering wheel, airbags, broken items. Also: any injuries, blood, scratches, cuts, abrasions, ANYTHING can help prove your injuries.
Hopefully you will find these tidbits helpful. If you have questions please contact us!! We will be happy to help! Please feel free to forward this to everyone you know that drives a car!
Until we meet again, BE WELL ADJUSTED!!!